St Giles Cathedral.
"The cathedral of St. Giles, huge, sombre, and irregular, was
rebuilt externally, 1830, by Burn. It was a cell of Dunfermline Abbey till James III., 1466-1483, made it a collegiate
church. The old church was burned, 1384, by the Duke of
Gloucester. The Cathedral consists of a nave with double
aisles, a transept, built 1390-1413, which was the most
ancient portion, a choir with five chapels, built 1387, on the
south side, and four, built 1437-1451, on the north. The
rest is of the period of James VI., and the arms of the benefactors are carved upon the pillars."
Extract from "Cathedrals of the United Kingdom" (Open Library)